One of the best methods used today to replace missing teeth is dental implants. The appearance of dental implants is similar to natural teeth. If patients take care of these dental implants properly and have good oral hygiene, they can use these teeth for a very long time without facing any problems. The dental implants are titanium screws. These screws play the role of the root of the tooth, which an emergency dentist inserts it into the patient’s jaw. When the titanium screw is inserted in the jaw, it needs a few months to bond with the jawbones. After the patient’s jaw bone receives this outer metal piece, the dentist can also mount the crown on the root. Dental implants consist of two main parts, fixtures and abutments. At first, the dentist places the fixture in the patient’s jaw and then mounts the abutment and crown on the fixture.
Advantages of Dental Implant
1. There is no need to have any other teeth shaved, and the teeth will remain intact.
2. There is no difference in appearance between dental implants and natural teeth.
3. While eating and talking, the patient will have no problems.
4. The patient does not feel any pain during the dental implant placement due to anesthesia. According to research on patients who have had both tooth extraction and dental implant at the same time, most have stated that post-implant pain is much less painful than post-tooth extraction pain. Some factors can be involved in increasing or decreasing pain in dental implant procedures, including the duration of dental implant treatment, having experienced dentists, and the types of the dental implant. Depending on the food and drinks consuming, the color of your implants can change over time. You can use teeth whitening treatment for brightening them.
Side Effects of Dental Implant
The dental implant is the only practical solution for tooth loss problems. The bone around the root of the lost tooth may lose its density; titanium implants prevent it.
Since the implant needs surgery, it has side effects. Some of its side effects include pain, swelling, and bruising.
-Pain: after the dental implant surgery, you will feel pain in the gum and jaw bone. To solve this problem, the dentist will prescribe painkillers.
-Swelling: the gum and face will swell after the dental implant surgery. You can use cold compresses for up to 48 hours every 15 minutes to fix it. Usually, facial swelling disappears after a week.
-Bruising: often, the gums develop a bruise that goes away after a week.
Long-term Side Effects
If a specialist dentist performs the dental implant in dental clinic, the long-term complications are very low. One of the long-term side effects of implants is damaging to the nerves of the tooth. In this case, the dentist will take action to fix the problem.
Post-implant Dental Care
After the dental implant, you should observe the following:
• Avoid consuming hot foods and drinks on the first day.
• Bruising and swelling caused by the implant will disappear after two or three days. You can use cold compresses on the first day and warm compresses on the second day to speed recovery.
• If the pain gets worse after three days of implantation, you should visit a dentist immediately.
• Sutures are finally absorbed up to 2-3 weeks after implantation.
• Replace sterile gas only with your doctor’s instructions.
• Use antibiotics as directed by your dentist regularly.