The swollen lip can occur due to injury, allergic reaction, inflammation, infection, cancer or drug allergy. Depending on each cause, a swollen lip may be accompanied by other symptoms such as rash, fever, nodes, cracked lips, bleeding that give patients a very painful and uncomfortable feeling. So what causes and how to get rid of a swollen lip? Let’s find out some of the general information about this disease in our post below.
Causes of swollen lips
The swollen lip can be a sign figured out your health might be in trouble. Several possible causes of this problem are:
Angioedema is a common symptom when you have food or drug allergies. Patients who are suffering from angioedema often have facial, nasal, lips swelling and rash sometimes. It also is the reason for swelling of the respiratory tract, causing shortness of breath and even death. You should go to see the doctor if you have the following symptoms:
- Swollen lips along with shortness of breath
- Hoarse voice, difficulty talking
Trauma to the lips can be caused by impact with a sharp object or eating too hot food. You can reduce swelling with a cold compress, but if your lips are severely damaged and bleeding ceaselessly, you have to see the doctor to sew the wound. After that, to prevent dangerous complications, you should:
- Eating soft foods and avoiding spicy foods
- Cleaning wound daily.
Some infections also can cause swollen lip. In case of infection, the doctor will check to find the type of bacterial infection, thereby having the appropriate treatment.
The swollen lip is sometimes a symptom of Crohn’s disease (inflammatory bowel disease). A patient suffered from this disease is not only inflamed in the bowels but also swollen the lymph ducts. About 10% of Crohn’s patients appear the symptom in the mouth.
Mucocele is a popular benign injury in the oral cavity. Mucus appears when salivary glands are damaged or clogged. The problem can be healed itself without treatment. However, it may cause discomfort or pain to the patients.
How to get rid of a swollen lip?
If swollen lips are not too severe, you can apply the simple methods below:
When your lips start to swell, apply a cold compress immediately. Swelling usually occurs due to the buildup of fluid. Applying cold compress will slow down the circulation process, helping reduce swelling, inflammation, and pain.
- You can pack some ice cubes in a clean towel or use a freezer pack or cold spoon to apply.
- Gently press ice pack onto the swollen area for about 10 minutes
- Take a rest for 10 minutes and then continue to apply until you feel more comfortable
Note: Do not put ice cubes directly on the lips because it can make your lips hurt or lose their sensation.
Aloe Vera Gel
To deal with the question “how to get rid of a swollen lip” applying aloe vera gel is one of the best methods. You can apply aloe vera after applying the cold compress (like instruction above). Regularly apply it throughout the day if necessary.
Black tea contains tannins, a compound helping reduce swelling. Steps to be followed:
- Soak black tea I in boiled water and leave them to cool
- Use a cotton swab to absorb tea and put it on the lips from 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat several times a day to get the highest effect.
Honey is a natural wound healing product, having antibacterial properties that very good for treating swollen lip. You need to apply honey on the lips, leave for 10 – 15 minutes, then rinse and apply more several times a day.
Turmeric powder antibacterial and healing properties; using it to treat swollen lips as below:
- Mix turmeric powder with Fuller’s earth clay and water to create a thick mixture
- Apply this mixture on your lips
- Rinse with water. Apply several times per day.
Baking soda can reduce pain, inflammation caused by a swollen lip. Here is how to use it:
- Mix baking soda with water
- Apply this mixture on your lips and leave for a few minutes
- Repeat until swelling is gone.
If you are still wondering about how to get rid of a swollen lip, salt water is a very simple and effective for you. If you have open wounds, the salt water also has the bacterial effect to prevent infection.
- Dissolve salt in warm water
- Use towel or cotton swab to absorb the salt water and apply them to your lips
- Apply 1 – 2 times a day.
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil has anti-inflammatory properties which used as an antibiotic to kill bacteria caused infection. However, to avoid skin irritation, you should use tea tree oil with other oils.
- Dissolve tea tree oil with another oil such as olive oil, coconut oil or aloe vera gel
- Apply this mixture to the lips for about 30 minutes and then rinse thoroughly
- Repeat several times if necessary. Do not use tea tree oil for young children.
Eating, drinking licorice or applying the mixture of licorice powder with water to the swollen areas is also the best way to deal with this trouble. Applying these methods regularly will help quickly reduce the swelling of the lips.
Here, we have given you some useful information about swollen lips and how to get rid of a swollen lip. These above remedies are very simple, but they are only applied to the mild cases. If your lips are still swollen, accompanied the symptoms such as fever, headache or shortness of breath, you should go to the doctor immediately.