Height safety has been a challenge globally. You have multiple accidents, some of which are fatal, due to the lack of height safety services and the apt training to the workers. Many of these accidents take place as those concerned are not sure of what equipment or tools are to be used when working on heights. The smallest of detail needs to be looked into deeply. This can help to save lives of multiple workers all round the world. Height safety services started in the year 2000 and have served small companies to government organizations.
Listed Below Are A Few Tips for Working at Heights
- Selection of proper PPE: It is essential to ensure that you make a choice of the right equipment in case you are using the PFAS (Personal Fall Arrest System). Full body harnesses need to meet the standard of the ANSI. You need to look for functionality of equipment and make sure there are no compromises made on the fireproof material, additional D-rings or the arc-safe design. To ensure you are paying the apt amount for a specific harness a thorough research is essential. Besides which, if you have more than one worker you need to know that you will need different sizes of the harness as these are available in a wide range of sizes.
- Using rails: It is advisable to make use of rails whenever possible. This is one easy way to ensure the safety of your workers. These rails can be built by carpenters on-site or probably the pre-fabricated ones. You have a choice between the permanent rails and the portable ones. The apt one needs to fit the requirement.
- Understanding Fall Distance: It is pointless even if you have the best fall protection equipment if you hit the lower level before engaging. That means, you need to have a clear understanding and knowledge of the length of a lanyard to ensure it works well for the distance used. The actual fall distance needs to include the length of the lanyard and the body length which is below the D-ring and any sag in your anchor system.
- Inspection of the PPE: Equipment might be of the best quality but if not inspected can lead to those dreadful falls. The harness and the lanyards need to be inspected by someone who has a thorough knowledge and understanding of this and is authorized to rectify it. The user needs to inspect it before every use. The user needs to understand the working of the harness or the lanyard and needs to know what to look for and what to not. This pre-work check could save a life.
- Selecting the Means of working at Heights: Working at heights needs different means and equipments depending on the circumstances. There are times scaffolding might work out the best option and at other times lifts or probably even ladders. You need to understand that with a ladder the requirement of fall protection tends to get tricky. Making a decision needs professional help as this can eliminate any uncalled for risks.
- Roofing regulations: Roofing regulations need to be studied in depth as nothing can be taken for granted. Most of the times even the roofing contractors are of what is right and does not work for height safety measures.
Working safely at heights does not come by chance. You need to ensure that they are properly trained. This is one sure way to eliminate any danger or risks. This training needs to be imparted only by professionals who are qualified and not just anyone. A little caution and proper training along with equipment can help in saving many lives.