I do not know about you but I know some people who are not thrilled to go on an interview. Why? It is simply because of nervousness. Am I right? There are so many possible things that could happen during an interview.
Perhaps, you could be unprepared. That is indeed the main reason for being nervous. You know that good preparation is a key to nail an interview. However, why do people fail to prepare for an interview? We might want to check if we fall into the following reasons below.
Reasons why we fail to prepare for an interview:
● Lack of interest – Why do you think lack of interest is a factor? It is because if you have a certain amount of interest in the job you are applying for, you will do anything to get in. If you have no interest, then why bother preparing for it? You will have to wait for the time of the interview finish.
● The job is not for you – This reason happens all them time. Why? For instance, you are being pressured to get a job. What are you going to do? You will get whoever is possible hiring you. Am I right?
● The pay is not what you are expecting – Yes, you applied for the job. But you know that you don’t like the salary they are offering. But you have to grab this opportunity because you need it. The tendency is that you will not bother to prepare. Again.
● You are just lazy – Admit it. We feel like we don’t need to prepare for an interview. We might think that we already know what will happen. What questions they might ask.We might think that we already know what will happen. But remember that not all employers are the same. They look right through you.
● You are still in your current job – This situation happens. You apply even though you still have an existing job. Employers conduct an interview during office hours. That is why you won’t have time to prepare. Some people take a “break” from their current job to get an interview.
The reasons mentioned are only for people who are not interested in getting hired. But if you want companies to hire you, you have to do better. You need to prepare for the interview.
We have all been in different situations when in an interview. There is no such thing as getting bad luck. You will get hired as a result of a thorough preparation. You will not get hired when you do not prepare at all. How are we going to prepare? See the tips below.
5 Things to Prepare Before Going on an Interview
● Know the kind of job you are applying for – You have to know your way around. This is important so you can deal with new workmates, your boss, and the new work environment. After this, you will be able to adjust perfectly.
● You have to learn the company itself – The person who will interview you will probably ask you about the company. If you do not know a thing or two about the company, they will think that you are not interested. They won’t hire you.
● A simple and appropriate body language is the key – When you are looking directly and nods appropriately, this means you are interested. I know this because I have encountered people like this. Trust me, this works.
● Provide interesting questions – Listening is an act of politeness. It is right to listen to the interviewer. It is also good to answer the questions consistently. But asking them questions that are relevant to the company is just showing them your interest. You have to remember to ask questions that are not known to others.
● Provide good references – Your references are your ticket to getting hired. You need to have people or professionals that are on the same page as yours.
Above are just the basics. You can create your own practical guidelines in preparing before going on an interview. Do not forget your confidence. Having enough confidence will help you answer questions. Now go and nail that interview!
Author: Usman Raza is a freelance writer, marketing specialist at Christian Marketing Experts and co-founder of Usman Digital Media. When not working, he’s probably spending time with his family. Follow him on Facebook @usmanraza40 and Twitter @usmanintrotech.